I use VNC connections as part of my regular daily routine, and I ran into another bug a few days ago, so I figured I’d post a summary of the current bugs that are currently afflicting me, and the workarounds for them.
First is a really interesting bug where the less-than-sign turns into a greater-than-sign. Really. I’m not joking. The comma and period work fine, it’s just the less-than-sign. The public bugid for this is 14729. The workaround is to run xmodmap when you start your VNC session (I put it in ~/.vnc/xstartup).
xmodmap -e 'keycode 94 = comma less'
The second bug is that the server crashes whenever you turn OFF the capslock key. The public bug for this one is 14397. The workaround I found for that is the following:
vncserver ... -RemapKeys 0xffe5->0x00
In other words, you try to disable the capslock key, and the result is a capslock key that works correctly. I have no idea what the implementation is doing.
I’m using a Mac client these days as a desktop, so I’d be interested in hearing from anyone using windows VNC clients to see if they’ve hit these same bugs or not. Of course, I do live on the bleeding edge of OpenSolaris. The last few biweekly dev releases have been internal-only, but I think both of these bugs are in public OpenSolaris releases.